Wednesday, November 16, 2011

11-16 Still in Florenca!

Dear Family,

This week has been great! Towards the end of the week we had one of the 3-day Brazil rain storms where the rain just washes everything in sight down the dirt roads into the rivers in the valley (aka jungle). The shoes are taking a beating. Elder Jack showed me a sweet store where he buys tougher shoes that are still comfortable for only 20 Reals!! He’s going to give me some stuff when he leaves including the shoes he’s wearing now which I think will fit!

This week we were walking in the valley and were passed by a van with a bunch of guys who yelled "what’s up man! Need a ride?!" followed by a roar of laughter. I wonder if they realize I think it’s hilarious too. I love making fun of myself. Elder Jack is going home in a week so he’s been dreaming of home while trying to finish strong at the same time. I can see him on his last string though...especially training me haha. I’m sure I sound like an idiot sometimes after his great teaching and then he will look at me and Ill take 5 minutes to explain our life on earth.... ok, its actually going pretty well. I’m learning a lot.

This week we found an older lady named Dona Maria. Dona is like “Mrs” in English and everyone out here has a first name of "Maria Rosario" so right now were teaching 3 people all named Dona Maria Rosario…it’s a joke. Anyway, Dona Maria is awesome! Whenever we teach her something new she sits there wide-eyed and you can just see her eyes glow.  When we first started teaching her they were dull and now she sits in her house and literally reads the Book of Mormon all day! It’s amazing. I had the great opportunity to baptize her on Sunday. Before her baptism we were teaching her and her daughter. Her daughter found it funny that we don’t drink coffee. After about 10 minutes of explaining to her why we don’t, she finally understood. She then came out with cola which we’ve been told by President we can’t drink either for whatever reason. Elder Jack looked at me and I looked at him and just laughed...how the heck are we going to explain this one to her. She probably thought we were so weird. And then we had to leave and cut it short to be home by 9.
Lunch yesterday was great…just the normal Brazilian lunch. I was pretty hungry so I was eating pretty quick. I looked down at my plate really quickly and found a chicken foot and leg…ohh the Brasilian surprises!

Yesterday Elder Jack and I were in Belo turning in the fichas… forms—to the office. I was planning on sending some letters off but turns out the city was shut down due to some random Brasilian holiday…hahah...it reminded me of not being able to go swim because of some random holiday at the JCC at home. Haha. It’s really hot here in Brasil— in case anyone didn’t know yet. It’s pretty ridiculous. The other day elder Jack and I had just finished lunch and we stuffed ourselves just to leave and find that it was incredibly hot outside and we needed to be somewhere pretty quickly. We felt like a couple drunk people trying to walk down the dirt road stuffed with the sun beating down on us. It’s this crazy feeling where you feel dizzy and stuff...kinda cool actually.

I love hearing all about the family back at home!! I miss everyone…Catie that’s awesome you’re doing so well with swimming. And Spencer and Davis sound like they’re beasting it up with football. That’s all over now...time to beast up the baseball field. Get it done this season!!! Sarah— great to hear you’re still doing great swimming and ballet. Mary I miss you too! I love to read Elizabeth’s never ending emails that take half of my email time too! Hahaa just kidding—they’re hilarious. Keep ‘em coming! I heard this week from Brady Johnson from SVU and Noah Christian. They are both doing great!! Oh, and dad—I got a letter that you wrote about a month ago that was send to Arcadia! It’s the one where you promised you’d give me the civic when I get back. I liked that one. I love getting letters—pretty soon here I’m only going to be able to go to the office every month or so maybe even longer because come transfers I won’t be with a district leader anymore so we won’t have to go to the office every week. That’s gonna suck, but it’s all good.  And I mailed those letters today that I couldn’t get off yesterday.

People make you eat like crazy here! Elder Jack said he threw up 3 times after leaving a few lunches when he first got here. Don’t worry I’ve learned quick though! The big trick is when you go to lunch you just get a tiny bit so then when the host tells you to go get your millionth serving of beans you don’t barf all over them. It’s good stuff.  We do an incredible amount of walking everyday. That’s pretty good excercize I think… I’ve been trying to go some plyometric stuff every night and crunches and pushups so I think I’ll be alright. I just gotta make sure I don’t get fat from all this bread and wheat here! The fruit is great too! It’s almost mango picking season!! There’s mango trees everywhere you look so I’m stoked to start picking them and eating them on the walk. I ike to buy lots since it’s pretty cheap here!

It’s so great to hear from every one of you!! Everyone keep working hard with school, work, baseball, ect. whatever it is. The Lord will always bless you as long as you work as hard as you can and you’re studying the scriptures and trying your best to live like Christ.  This week I’ve thought a lot about living right consistently. It requires a firm and sincere desire to be like Christ. I’ve been reading Elder Ballard’s book, Our Search for Happiness. It talks about the need to really love the Lord and then we’ll be alright because He will shape our life. It’s pretty awesome. I’m excited for transfers. There’s really no way I stay here in Florenca since it’s a zone leader area and there’s 4 people living in a 2 person house. I think Elder Bowerbank and I will be headed somewhere else. I’m excited to learn a new area and new people! Jonathan, it’s great to hear you’re doing great too!! I continue to pray for you as well!

Well that’s about all the time I have!! Love you all!! Have a great week!

Love,
Elder Jones!!

Elder Jones and the city of Florenca at night

With Dona Maria Rosario on her baptism day

Brazilian License Plate

Andrew's Brazil ID and some of his money.
The missionaries are livin' in style...
At the Mission Office

No comments:

Post a Comment