Tuesday, February 14, 2012

2/7/2012 Letter

Dear Family and Friends, 

This week was pretty dang cool. We brought 3 girls to church that we've been teaching this past week-including Matteus.  I dont know how to say it in english but they are 'moces'..young women. I don't think that translates correctly. But anyway, sunday was fast and testimony meeting. President has made it a rule that all missionaries need to share a short testimony every testimony meeting which I think is a good idea to keep up the missionary excitment in the ward. Before I went to share my testimony, I said a quick prayer to put the words in my mouth that I needed to say in order to help our investigators and members feel the spirit. I felt that I should share a few verses from mosiah 14 which I had been studying sat morning. I ended up reading a few verses i think it was 5-8ish. I ended up talking about the atonement and a little about the importance of baptism. 

At the end of sacrament meeting a counselor came up to me and said I have somebody who wants to talk to you. He moved to the side and this guy who is looks exactly and acts exactly like the actor in that movie 'the RM' (the friend who is a rebel) asked if he could talk to us in another room privately.  He told us that he has been coming to church off and on for about a year and rejected tons of missionaries. He said that during my testimony he had felt the spirit and wanted to be baptised that day. Elder Brasil and I stood there in amazement. For those who have served a mission, you understand the amazement of somebody coming to you and saying that. It's the best thing of all time. After I write this we're gonna meet with him in the chapel and fill up the font for the baptism of matteus tonight which we're excited for (we got shot down for monday since it's family home evening night). People in brasil are actually really into family home evening...i think brasilian members understand missionary work a lot better than Americans...probably because everyone is a convert and understands the importance of sharing the gospel. It's pretty cool to watch. 

Yesterday was Zone conference..wow its really weird to say that in english..everything i type I want to type in portuguese.. But I thought that it would be a good idea to get there a little early since I hate taking a slow bus and having to run to get there on time. Elder brasil claimed he knew where the capella was...the church haha..we got off the onibus, walked for about an hour looking for the church. finally we found someone who knew where the church was..he gave us wrong directions and this continued for about another 30 min. FINALLY we found the church...drenched in sweat in downtown BH. we ran up to the doors and they were locked. I  looked at elder brasil and said 'check it..check the other one..' He checked it...locked too. I yelled FRRREEEEAAAAAKKKK!!!!..surely everyone in the city heard me..It was like arnold shwarznegger..i dont known how to spell that..on jingle all the way when he was trying to get home on time. We ended up taking another onibus and running for about another hour to finally find the right building in another neighborhood...neighborhoods in brasil are like another city. President watched us walk in to the chapel and sit on the side about an hour or so late. He never asked us what happened...i think out of complete pity.  It's really gross when you're sitting in a suit soaking wet.

Conference was amazing like it always is. President showed us that NOWHERE in the scriptures or in PME does it say anything about a promise of receiving a 'answer'..or reposta in portuguese. Thats because we dont recieve an 'answer'. We are promised that we will know the truth through a 'testimony' through the 'feelings of the holy ghost'. It also says in PME that its a 'process'. I realized that sometimes when i tell my investigators that they will recieve an 'answer' they begin waiting for something marvelous to  occur. They are waiting for angel moroni himself to appear in their living room and say, ok you can be baptised now. Thats not how it works. Thats why we have alma chp 32.

Anyway, Im excited for this week. This area is obviously a lot harder to baptise in..but you cant think that. Almost everyone here are filthy rich..i understand why the missionaries taught where they taught now (back at home) ..hahha. The beginning of this transfer was really hard..only one baptism, but this week we will have 2 or more. 

I think I may have seen my first dead person on the side of the highway on the way to conference the other day..that was odd. 

Mom, I received the contacts..Ill finish the ones that I have in right now and then try out the others, let you know how they are and then you can order more right? sweet. I still have more of the 2 week ones too.. Davis..come on, be a man..you gotta open your eye and throw them in..hahaha..

k im gonna send some pics now in another email. Love you all and hope all is well. Mom, the weather here is beautiful..there are no big spiders..

Love, Elder Jones

No comments:

Post a Comment