Monday, February 6, 2012

Old December letters- 12/14/2011

Dear Mom and Dad,


Glad to hear everything is going well, I try to write handwritten letters as often as I can but unfortunately P-day is nothing like it used to be (like in the MTC) haha.


You are really free on your mission to manage your time. Obviously there are lots of rules, but outside of that it's really up to you to manage your time and work hard.  I can see how it's such great training for life because that's how life is (along with a million other worries) haha.  I always thought that the mish would be some what of a "break" but not when the commandment is to serve with all your heart, might, mind, and strength.  Anything less isn't enough (to stand blameless before God at the last day - Section 4 of the Doctrine and Covenants).


I really think if every missionary understood Section 4 we wouldn't have any problems.  I love to show that Section to recent converts who are 16 or 14 and hesitant to serve a mission because they're not familiar with it or they think they won't be any good.  It says clearly that all you need to "embark on this great work" is a desire (not a degree).  The Spirit is the teacher - not you, you just have to know how to humble yourself (which isn't as easy as it sounds sometimes).


One thing I've learned while being out here is how sensitive the Spirit is.  Understanding how to teach and live with the Spirit is the trick to life.  The Spirit will leave with one thought, one neglected commandment, etc...  President Eyring visited us one year ago and he told the missionaries to "get out of the way of the Spirit."  The mission is no "a break" when you live it right.  This is harder work then ever but its also the most rewarding.  If you're serving the right way you are worried about your investigators and the work from the moment you get up until you lay down to pass out. 


It's true what is always said about how time flies when you are working hard and are busy.  I was reading my brand new copy of the Novembro Liahona (we got December too) that we received yesterday at the office.  I'm excited to read every General Conference talk in Portuguese!  But, I was reading the first talk./opening remarks with President Monson. first thing that he talked about was how time flies when you ar busy - its true.  We're only here for so long so lets live life the best we know how.  I often read Alma 34:32 to people (especially after teaching the Plan of Salvation and before committing them to be baptized) where it says "this is the life for men to prepare to meet God, yea behold the day of this life is the day for men to perform their labors."


The past few weeks I've continued to study the special October edition of the Liahona (that we received in the MTC and were asked by President to read cover to cover) where I left off.  It's truly amazing.  I read part of a talk (Neil C. Anderson) this week where he mentioned 2 Nephi 2:6, he quoted "redemption cometh in and through the Holy Messiah; for he is full of grace and truth" and this is really what hit me hard when I read this the Spirit almost knocked me dead 2 Nehpi 9:41.  He is "the keeper of the gate and he employeth no servant there."  I've read that many times before - but wow - it meant something completely different to me this time.  I can't believe the love that our Savior has for us.  The more I come to know Him, the more I realize that His love for each of us is incomprehendable.  He stays there at the gate, He  stays for cada uno de nos (each one of us).


Everything is going just great here.  I continue to pray for each one of you - for you success at work to Mary being happy.  That's the way the Lord would have it.  For many to be just as happy as me - why would it be any different?  Don't forget to read the scriptures.  When we forget to read we're neglecting the Lord's power to perform miracles in our life that we all can't afford to live without.  I'm so grateful for the opportunity I have this Christmas to worry about other people and not me.  The Lord would have it no other way.  Elder Holland told us in the MTC that "you're going out to help people not suffer."  He also said with the utmost assurance, "we're gling to find ways to serve the children of God," "We're going to be the diciples of the Lord Jesus Christ together."  I'm grateful for your support and testimony.  I'm working hard - there's no other way to live this life!  Life is always good!


Love,


Elder Jones

No comments:

Post a Comment