Monday, February 6, 2012

Old December letters- 12/7/2011

Dear Mom & Dad,


How's everything going?  I'm doing great here in Brazil.  Everyone will be baptized her in Contegem by the time Elder Costa and I are done here!  haha.  One thing I've learned about the mission that is really important to have is a vision.  It's the same thing with anything in life - without a vision you're prone to laziness and procrastination.  I really liked what Dad said in one of his last letter about Paul and how he had such great success in missionary work because of how excited he was.  I think that goes for everything in life.  Another thing that I'm learning to deal with better is disappointment.  Two nights ago we found a family that I thought was elect.  They all had a date except for the mom who we know would after the next lesson.  They seemed excited to learn more and we were excited as well.  We fasted and had been praying for a family to teach.  When we returned the next night, I peeked through a hole in their door (fence thing) and saw the father sitting on the step.  After walking for 40 minutes we were ready to teach.  Wiping the sweat from our face, I knocked on the door.  The wife came out to the door to tell us that ther husband wasn't home and that he wasn't prepared and wanted nothing else to do with the Church.  It was hard for us to keep our mouths shut and not say that we already saw him and yell "hello" but everyone has the ability to exercise their agency.  We walked away knowing that we had done our part in testifying of the truth and that we had done our best.  That's all we can do in life sometimes - It's hard.


Experiences like these just make it all the sweeter when your investigators stay firm and grow and strong testimony.  Yesterday we were "batando portas" (hitting doors) and one woman let us in.  She told us the missionaries had already stopped by before and she had already gone to Church.  We began the first lesson but then she told us that her children had died and that is why she now lives by herself.  We quickly change the lesson plan to the Plan of Salvation.  At first she wasn't  buying it very well I don't  think but  then the Spirit kicked in.  I really think she felt the Spirit when we told her that she could see her family again.  I bore my testimony at the end about my family and how the Plan of Salvation means everything to me.  I told her that all I wanted was to live "there" (Pointing to the Reino Celestial on the puzzle that we always use  from Brother Holland) with my family.  I always bear my testimony also that we don't have much time here on this earth and this is why we need to keep focused and not lose focus of our "vision" which is Eternal Life with our families.  The Spirit was incredibly strong and I almost started balling, but I was  man and fought it - don't worry.  She said that she would be baptized.  She is really addicted to smoking so pray for her too! (Dona Maria)  We told her that we were there to help her and that she could do it with the Lord's help.


The work is really hard - but it's most rewarding than anything else.  Every month or so I read a talk that my teacher at the MTC gave us by Tad R. Callister entitled "Becoming a Consecrated Missionary."  It's kind of like my spiritual steroids.  I read that along with "The Race" - that poem that I already mentioned to you before.  I try and look at the big picture.  I try to look at how short the mission really is and put things into perspective.  It's really a short period of time when you think about it.  I would suggest that you read both of these together too.  They should be on the Internet some where.  Relate it to our life here.  It's really a spiritual experience.


Christmas is weird here.  People have little fake Christmas trees and decorative stuff in their houses but it doesn't feel like Christmas at all.  It's probably beacuse of the weather - haha.  Don't worry - I';m not depressed or anything - it's just funny I think.  I listen to Dad's Christmas music on my iPod almost every morning while I make and eat breakfast.  I love Christmas music - It reminds me of living in Maryland listening to Christmas music before going to open presents on Christmas morning.  Man! what great memories we have as a family!  I"m so grateful for the opportunity I have this year to serve the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ!  There is no better way to try and rpay him than striving to become a consecrated missionary and bring other unto Him so that this perfect atonement may take effect in their lives as well.  I'm so grateful for the Spirit and joy that accompanies Elder Costa and I everyday here.  I love you both and thank you for all that you've done and still do. 


Feliz Natal,


Love Elder Jones

No comments:

Post a Comment